Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

Why are companies ridiculous?!

2 months ago

|

I’ve been working at my job for 5 months and I began to like it around 3 months and I also started to see red flags afterward. I’m really sad and disappointed because how of overworked everyone is. Overworked and underpaid essentially. I am miserable. I have to get out of here as soon as possible. I took 3 days off and I am buried in work now. 200+ unread emails. Makes no sense to allow days off if you have to do overtime just to catch up. God please help me.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments
  • hoovedruid

I addressed this with my boss when he asked me why I was so upset one day. I said that I was tired of being taking advantage of, being underpaid and overworked. His response was "Everyone at this company is being taken advantage of, there is nothing I can do". I think many places have just realized they can do a lot more work with less people and get away with it because there are so many people looking for work. I noticed this a lot more after 2008.

2 months ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• Pbonnibel86

I’ve been noticing that to more and more of that a lot of companies I work for people are becoming more honest about how crappy it is to work at these companies.

2 months ago

Edit

• aab434

I have the same at my company. Anytime you take off 1 day whether it be sick or PTO you are guaranteed at least 50 unread emails. We just had a guy in inside sales take off 2 weeks and he came back to over 500 unread emails

2 months ago

Edit

• Standard-Ease-6176

I would suggest setting rules and having multiple folders. I worked at a company and a great deal of emails would come from people hitting "reply all" to stuff that had nothing to do with me or my work. Also if your office permits it, having delegates so the team can stay on top of your inbox while you're out.

2 months ago

Edit

• sunshine347

It’s a conundrum. Companies offer PTO as a benefit, but employees are hesitant to use it because they drown in work after returning to the office. Took me several days to catch up at a previous job. Most companies are focused on “running lean” and “doing more with less.” So there’s no one to cover when folks are away. Personal opinion here, but I think a lot of businesses have taken advantage of reduced staffing caused by COVID shutdowns, despite resuming normal operations.

2 months ago

Edit

• lucky_719

Absolutely they have. It was a record year at my company. Completely blew all expectations out of the water. Yet our regular yearly COL pay increases haven't even been whispered about because of covid. Makes a whole lot of sense.

2 months ago

Edit

• akorn77

Companies see us as numbers, instead of as humans. If we leave, theres another 100 people in the queue. Rinse and repeat. The cycle never ends. This pandemic has been fantastic for companies and rich people.

2 months ago

Edit

• ElectricOne55

Same, I recently got a work from home job. I feel like a number and have been thrown out there to learn everything myself. They want us to pick up extra chats and tickets at my job, but why pick up extra if they're going to assign us some anyways?

2 months ago

Edit

• MailOrder_Bride

A sad truth, I have seen this in almost every job I've had. The culture of martyrdom and presentee-ism is so messed up. Sorry you're having this experience. I had this at a previous job (I quit in the end because it was horrid) and raised it with my manager, and although he was a terrible person, he recommended I do the following, and I now do it every time I feel overwhelmed; * What are you realistically expected to do in a day? If you look at your contracted hours, workload and salary. * If it takes you 3 minutes average to answer each email, and you have 200 to reply to, that's 10 hours of emails ALONE * "Can I OR ANY HUMAN get 200 email answered today and still complete other work tasks?" I imagine the answer is NO, in that case you have a case underpinned with actual data to have your workload reduced, or your salary increased. If YES then I make a timetable of my day to use my time as wisely as possible - but to me it sounds like your workload is unrealistic even for a robot! * Is there a pay-off to this intense workload? (eg: Do you get promoted in 3 months? Is it project specific and will end eventually) that might give a light at the end of the tunnel? NB: my old boss told once me that no one is irreplaceable (in a bid to scare me into staying), however I took that sentiment and looked at it this way... Anyone can "do a job" but you want to work from a company that has a YOU shaped hole to fill. ALSO you don't really owe them squat. YES loads of businesses have this culture, and YES it won't go away - but you aren't a tree, so you can get up and move. This was a bit of a rant but I hope you can find a resolution to this, and find an environment where you're celebrated xx

2 months ago

Edit

• stircrazy1121

My old job used to say this often “Everyone is replaceable”. I can understand that but still made me feel good that it took them 8 months to fill my position when I left!

2 months ago

Edit

• Knob_Gobbler

Just make your home environment so toxic that your terrible job is a utopia by comparison. 🇺🇸

2 months ago

Edit

• StrawberryinPizza

/r/ShittyLifeProTips

2 months ago

Edit

• Electrical_Debt_4722

We must unite and form labor unions. All the advances we have made in the 1900s have been lost. We need to band together, that’s the only avenue to help ourselves. These corporate conglomerates certainly aren’t going to on their own accord!

2 months ago

Edit

• anonymousn00b

Union tradesman here, I’ve had maybe 20 emails in years and overtime is optional unless it’s a mandatory shutdown of a building. 6am-2pm(ish) is our normal schedule and I leave work AT work.

2 months ago

Edit

• xandrew245x

Totally can relate to that. I've worked for a large corporation for about a year and a half now, actually really liked my job and co-workers up until a bunch of large changes happen a few months ago. It's has been horrible ever since, and I absolutely hate getting up every day to go to work. I know my situation may be a little different, but I voiced my frustrations about the job and how little work ethic I have now because of the changes, and I was given a $2 raise. Some times is good to just be direct and honest with your boss.

2 months ago

Edit

• aztec0

$2 raise? Typo?

2 months ago

Edit

• psychHOdelic

Right there with you. My boss works on the weekends so when I leave Friday, I sometimes come back to over 100 emails on Monday. Shoot me please.

2 months ago

Edit

• ashvy

>Shoot me please. You mean shoot you another email?

2 months ago

Edit

• bmacorr

Yup, welcome to the rat race. This is honestly why I think companies have so much turnover. People end up getting overwhelmed and just want a fresh start somewhere else until they get overworked, change companies and repeat.

2 months ago

Edit

• ATropicalSwan

I got 2 days off for Thanksgiving. I worked half a day when I was supposed to be off work. Woke up on Monday with 350 new emails. I cried every Morning waking up seeing the stupid amount of work I had to deal with. I got a new job at a wonderful company last month, started my new job yesterday. I feel like I just got out of hell. Still feeling super anxious thinking about the previous company. F them.

2 months ago

Edit

• Sonicdiver

I took one day off and had 300 emails lol. I just come in and do what I can and go home. Forced over time sounds kind of crazy.

2 months ago

Edit

• Jimmyrustlewilson

I'mgoing through a similar situation. I started in September, a co-worker quit while I was still training. We're so understaffed that, with less than 3 months under my belt, I had to take all her work. ALL. I took last week off, came back to 180+ emails. I'm drowning, dude. My anxiety and stress is at an all time high, and I don't know what I'm gonna do.

2 months ago

Edit

• InWisdomITrust

If you could find a job that is at least more relaxed even if the pay isn't amazing, then go for it. Health is invaluable. Also, the bonus is that when you have more room to breathe, then good ideas may come. Please, however, don't quit without a backup. I'm fed up with all those crappy overly-motivational video matras telling 'just go for it.' Get prepared. Be sure to reignite connections. Never ever let your happiness be taken away because of a fucking job.

2 months ago

Edit

• FatherofCharles

Everyone at any publicly traded company is overworked, underpaid and if you’re in management, understaffed. That’s just how it works. There’s peaks and valleys but squeezing every penny out of you is what companies do best and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

2 months ago

Edit

• wiseguy187

Not amazon they go extremely manager heavy then use them to keep a whip on all the cheap workers at all times. There logistics and production runs more efficient than anyplace ive ever seen. Still a horrible place to work but this super light management strategy actual hurts the companies so much but they dont realize it because you cant convert those changes to paper savings over night.

2 months ago

Edit

• SaltyNub

I’m with you decided yesterday I was leaving a job of three years because they refused to work with me on a schedule change been on 12 hour night shifts and I really needed a change for my family. Big kicker was instead of giving me the schedule I wanted they hired a new guy and put him on the shift I’d asked for this guy was completely untrained with no knowledge of the job. Feel like I just wasted three years of my life on that place

2 months ago

Edit

• MidniteOG

I too feel the same way. I have the pleasure of having a very hands on, very micro managerial style boss. Needs to have his hand in everything, all the time, 2 weeks in advance so he can “navigate our routines and remove obstacles”. I wish I had an answer for you, but take it as a learning experience of what not to do. A favorite quote of mine, “Hire good people and stay out of their way”

2 months ago

Edit

• dmr302

I couldn’t agree more! I’ve been bouncing from company to company trying to find a family atmosphere... I had it once at a company I worked for that was eventually “dismantled” due to greed ... for me I decided the only way forward was to use my skills to get contract work while I build my own company. I will never forget where I came from or what it feels like to be at any stage of the company and no amount of greed will cause me to create poor company culture ... if you set it early and you make it a non negotiable and NEVER go public and be at the mercy of stock holders and do everything possible not to give up equity to investors that have any power over your day to day then you’ll be ok. This may be a pipe dream and I may sound like I’m full of fluff but I’m gonna try my damnedest to make that happen!!

2 months ago

Edit

• greenwalrus1999

It's so incredibly annoying. One of my responsibilities is to take care of the 'catchall' inbox, the one that a million emails go to, each one going to a different person. I have to sort and forward them to the right person. 99% of them are time-sensitive. Every time I take off, I come back to a COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED inbox with 1000 more emails than when I left. No matter how many times my coworkers are told to look at that inbox, they don't. No matter how many times one or two specific coworkers is/are told to pick up a fraction of my slack in my absence, they don't. Even when I'm not off and I sort them by name, most people don't look at them. I can barely even get my boss to answer questions via email. I have to chase down the people above me for answers...when my completion of these tasks would make their lives easier. So, whatever. I take care of it when I get back, but they can be behind on their personal tasks if they want to. I'm not gonna lose my mind over it. But it is annoying to know that if I want a break, it will cost me. It's enraging, actually. It's not fair.

2 months ago

Edit

• -warmtoiletseat-

I feel your pain. Worked at my last company for 5 years until I ultimately walked away. I’ve learned...big corporations aren’t the way

2 months ago

Edit

• MagikSkyDaddy

The root answer is Capitalism. Modern work is framed on a system that inherently disadvantages wage earners. Now compound that with 40+ years of Republicans undermining any protections and regulations. End stage capitalism is why most things are terrible.

2 months ago

Edit

• mattgk39

This is the dumbest answer here.

2 months ago

Edit

• metsknicks49ers

200 emails in three days? Hate to break it to ya buddy, it gets FAR worse than that. It’s 10:21AM where I currently am, and I have 169 email so far today lol. Granted about 30-40 of those are auto-notifications but the rest have to at least be glanced over. Overworked and underpaid, I can absolutely identify with that. But be grateful you’re getting emails and not 200+ phone calls. Emails/texts don’t bother me, it’s the phone calls that take up time and attention, especially since 90% of those calls can be answered via email.

2 months ago

Edit

• natguy2016

What about the meetings that should have been emails?

2 months ago

Edit

• DrearyLoans

This is why we need to overthrow the capitalist system 😌

2 months ago

Edit

• mattgk39

And replace it with what exactly?

2 months ago

Edit

• practicalm

If emails are the problem can they be filtered into buckets so you can focus on the priorities? I find it helpful to filter and prioritize. But my expertise is in process improvement so I tend to rebuild the processes so people don’t get swamped like this.

2 months ago

Edit

• 5aled47

Always explore all the possibilities before you take the big foot step out of the door. IE: talk to your supervisor regarding what you have on your plate, ask what is a priority and what can be delegated to someone else. If there is no one else to do your job, then ask that they train someone to be your backup when you take a vacation. Otherwise it doesn't make sense to have you working overtime to catch up what you missed during your vacation

2 months ago

Edit

• theworldisnotquiet

Keep an eye out for other opportunities but if you can stick it out, it would probably be good to at least make it to a year. Are you early on in your career?

2 months ago

Edit

• RogueStudio

You're not alone. I am legitimately only still in my job 2 years later because I need the paycheck. Otherwise I'm faking enough loyalty until I can get somewhere else (and it's only mildly working, I got written up on Monday over 'communication issues' )....which right now, because I'm high risk during the pandemic AND I live with someone who is also at high risk, means simply jumping to the first part-time job I can find is easier said than done at the moment. My work was better when I started, but then....there was a management change from the Director of Ops all down that was not the same as before. Meh.

2 months ago

Edit

• MedinaPharma

This is capitalism 101.

2 months ago

Edit

• haloedjoker197066

This is broken capitalism if any.

2 months ago

Edit

• fosforuss

I’m almost in overtime this week working 5 positions because of a hiring freeze due to Covid. I’ve mainly done 3 positions for the same past since May and they still can’t bump me up to FTE after a year for benefits because of the freeze.

2 months ago

Edit

• PutSimply1

I feel you on this, this pretty much comes down to awful leadership - I don't use the word ' management ' because that's of course part, of course, but leadership is the issue Most companies have far too many managers and not enough leaders, they even have managers managing managers, they bury people in workloads and work tasks that are above their current employment level and portray it as " I'm testing you to see if you can 'cope' with the next level up " but aren't understanding that pay is compensation, for work done You're not the only one in the situation, I'd say strive toward that independent future, make your own mark on the world and do away with the 'salary' life! - harder said than done, but it's never been more possible than in today's world!

2 months ago

Edit

• Extra_Mechanic9747

I’ve been trying to apply at jobs everywhere due to being let go by Best Buy I was a seasonal there, they told me that they didn’t have any permanent positions, which sucks of course and I loved working there but just in general in between two jobs of last year I only gotten around 6 months of experience, and it’s getting to a point that I am getting overwhelmed of not getting a job right away. I’ve also sent out an email to the career center at my college to see if they can help with my needs so far no response, I know COVID had messed everyone up and people are also looking jobs everywhere and dealing with the same thing, I just really hope they can be able to land one soon like me. 😔

2 months ago

Edit

• sp2495

Just curious what type of work do you do/ industry? I find this happens a lot in corporate

2 months ago

Edit

• Muskegocurious

They are going back to the play books from 09-10 when they figure you'll do anything to stay and have no reason to treat you like a human being. It's a crap assumption especially since many cases they play this game with people who have skills that aren't a dime a dozen for lack of a better term and then find themselves in trouble when despite record unemployment they can't find another person with a personality they can abuse with the skills they need. I believe it all comes down to the fact that as a large group people are stupid, very stupid and incapable of learning. To the point where if I was to put a hot frying pan in the middle of some place with regular heavy foot traffic. The same people would burn themselves day after day, month after month until winter came making it impossible to continue.

2 months ago

Edit

• Jane_in_Search

I think many people can relate to your question as well. At the end of the day, all that matters is having a meaningful job you really enjoy. I have a similar issue for years, tried working in different fields. The big step towards the realization of my virtues, especially those related to my career, happened after I started self-exploration of my personality. One of these included participating in social projects and reading career report from one app (self-care goals: adviseme ([https://apps.apple.com/US/app/id1536711786?mt=8](https://apps.apple.com/US/app/id1536711786?mt=8) ). It revealed that I indeed needed to take part in global projects, so I started volunteering and made corresponding job applications. Hope, we all get our dream job offers soon!

2 months ago

Edit

• jthorstensen21

So true. Tired of these cliche success stories from big companies. Sometimes I think my own originality can be difficult to be realized while working in many companies. It's really time to acknowledge our potential, individuality. I'm up for this kind of apps and other innovative ways for embracing our uniqueness. Thanks for sharing!

2 months ago

Edit

• Schoschke

If you get 200 e-mails in three days, you can count on 80% being trash that needs no reading. Anything you are CC'd in can be discarded. If it ever comes up again, just ask for a quick summary. Takes away some steam. After all, time management is your best friend.

2 months ago

Edit

• Level_Lavishness2613

I wanted to take a day off the other day and when I looked at it I would have been 5 days behind because it was around the holidays lol it wouldn’t make any sense so I just stayed and worked. Im so sad.

2 months ago

Edit

• SilentJon69

Here I thought grocery stores like Kroger and Fred Meyer were bad in terms of running skeleton crews and stretching everyone out really thin

2 months ago

Edit

• limabeanns

Same at my company. If I want to take days off, I have to work major OT (without OT pay--I'm salary) just to ensure that my coworkers aren't triply swamped while I'm gone.

2 months ago

Edit

• liltofu95

My job says I can only take 3 emergency sick days my first year of employment. No pto offered at all. And it’s full time. And they have the audacity to say that I don’t need more time off?? I’ve been here for 2 1/2 months and this information was withheld from me for a reason. Ps, I live in California.

2 months ago

Edit

• Noshotskill

Well I can't speak about the other red flags, but missing tons of emails when you take time off is something that affects most people at office jobs. The larger the company, the more emails you get. It gets worse when you have decision making power - then you get all the damn sales emails that flood your inbox.

2 months ago

Edit

• dacforlife

I wonder if you could set a, "I'm out of the office until..." automatic reply that also refects any new emails while you're away? It would need to say your email isn't excepting emails until such and such date though. That would put the burden on your co-workers to remember to email you after said date with important things.

2 months ago

Edit

• Mmngmf_almost_therrr

Businesss owe nothing to anybody but their shareholders/owners. - Milton Friedman, patron saint of corporate ownership of society

2 months ago

Edit

• Jeremias13420

Ouch, yeah that seems unreasonable!

2 months ago

Edit

• stoneyMaloney92

Are you salary? If you you’re gonna have to suck it up. I apologize for being so blunt, but either you just do the work or find something else so someone can get in there who can handle it

2 months ago

Edit

• kjezzz

Stick it out for a year!! Don't do yourself resume damage. Also, idk if you heard but office/tech jobs are incredibly hard to get right now.

2 months ago

Edit

• apostrophe_misuse

Tell people (block your calendar/set it in your out-of-office message) that you're going to be gone one day longer than you actually are. Then use that 'extra' day to get caught up on email and work. Most people won't realize you are back a day earlier than what you said.

2 months ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job