Try searching for something else

Try searching for something else

Discussion

My dad, with 35 years experience as an engineer, just discovered the bullshit that is today's application process.

2 months ago

|

Let me preface that my dad is technically a boomer, but does not have the mentality of one. He's very liberal, caucused for Bernie twice, and is one of the smartest people I know. He was let go last May when his project ran out of funding to continue, so he's enjoying his early retirement, but he's bored. Salary doesn't matter. He's in the position where he wants to make a difference and follow his passion. His passion for the last 10 years has been climate change. He built a house with my mom that's as eco friendly as possible: solar panels, geothermal, rain barrels, etc. And he loves to teach others about it. You know when someone starts talking about their passion and they light up and get excited about it? That's my dad when I ask him about his solar panels and the data surrounding it. "Charlesdickens2007, check out how much power we got- and look- that's where you can see when the sun came out!" Recently he's been emailing me applications with a "wtf" in the subject line. They want superman. A person that can get on a roof, train the workers, be a salesman, a CDL driver, and program. Starting salary? 40k plus commission. He just wants to talk to people about solar, but he's a programmer, not someone to get on a roof or drive a rig. He then told me his history with job hunting, went like this: His internship in college finished and was transitioned into a full-time job with benefits with an aerotech company. He was asked "what division do you want to work in? Here are your 5 options" he said, "Flight simulation looks cool, I'll do that" and that's how he got his first job in engineering. When my maternal grandpa died (1992), he sent his resume to a headhunter a few states over and told them, "hey, find me a job that pays x that's in this state", he turned down a couple offers and got his second job. 5 years later he was laid off, but interviewed for a new position in a different state and moved the family with very little transition time and a large salary increase. Our next house was massive, brand new, and he saved enough to put me and my brother through college. He worked at that company for 15 years and they put him through school again. Twice. He left that position due to new management, with two additional masters degrees that were paid for by the company. Now, he's asking me tips on how to build a linked-in account. He's sending me applications asking me if it sounds like a good company. I told him my experience and we both teared up. We haven't been that close, but this had brought us together. He didn't realize how hard it was on me to go through the job hunting process, and he gets it now. When I graduated from college with my teaching degree, 5 years of coaching experience, and glowing letters of recommendation, there were 5 teaching positions open in my field. I applied and didn't hear from any of them. I left the teaching world and got into non-profit work. And I am damn good at it. But with my field, I constantly hear about people getting hired because they know someone. I have 10+ years of data driven success and someone got a position instead of me and spent Covid funds on office furniture?? All too true these days. So far, I have applied for 40+ positions since last January. I have been ghosted after 4 interviews for positions paying 70k to 100k. Including one where I did a presentation for the board of directors... 4 months later and they never returned my phone calls. Appling for a position on indeed to be asked to apply on their website is common and takes 2(ish) hours to never hear back from them. So yeah. I got to cry with my dad for a bit last week. Silver lining is that we've never been closer. But this is absolute insanity. My current boss, who was reminded to apply for his position the day it closed, who has no supervison experience, sent me an email yesterday asking, "can you even read?" After I asked a question. I'm tired. I'm worn out. And my dad, is now going through the same thing and it's making me lose hope.

Want to comment? or with one click.

Comments

Its just so exhausting, your dads right, companies nowadays want superheroes. Like no only do they want the degree. It’s shit because now I feel ‘oh if only I started my own company when I was 10 and started programming when I was fucking 5 I’d have that standout cv that makes me worthy’. Just exhausting

2 months ago

Edit

You have reported this post

• charlesdickens2007

I was astounded at the gall of this company. To ask someone to program, do sales, and have their CDL?! It's madness. What was even more annoying, is they were hiring 4 different people for this job... like wouldn't it make more sense to divide and specialize?!

2 months ago

Edit

• cutsforluck

That 40k salary you mentioned is extra outrageous, when juxtaposed with the \[soon to be\] federal minimum wage of $15/hour. Which would be a salary of about $31,200. Add to that the insane barriers to getting a job-- several rounds of hours-long interviews, projects, work samples, and then to just get ghosted. Costs of living are getting increasingly higher, but salaries aren't keeping up. Something has to give.

2 months ago

Edit

• charlesdickens2007

40k, pLuS cOmMiSsIoN

2 months ago

Edit

• SaavikSaid

I feel you. 20+ years experience in marketing and project management, 255 jobs applied to since last March. NOTHING. Some interviews (maybe about 15). All I even want is $40k which is nothing. STILL can't get a job.

2 months ago

Edit

• BeGoneKratom

I know it is ridiculous. For me 10 years ago I was easily able to get a $40k job with just basic spreadsheet and filing skills. Now you need to know SQL, Data Visualizations, Advanced Excel with Macros, oh and how about a preference for knowing Python/R all for a measly 40k.

2 months ago

Edit

• maintain_improvement

I am a 40m mech engineer. I recently applied for a job and got an interview. Before the interview they emailed me the full job description. I was a little surprised, because I didn’t realize the job description I applied for wasn’t complete. They wanted, no exaggeration: plc programing, ground-up design of electrical panels, production management including supervision of the assembly staff, and sales. There were other things in there that I don’t recall. Salary: 55k. I declined the interview.

2 months ago

Edit

• jubeininja

>Salary: 55k what a joke

2 months ago

Edit

• LawyerPristine6573

Welcome to the club. By the way, this will last for a few years to come

2 months ago

Edit

• Phylakt

There's also the fact that at the same time there's an arms race of people just lying out the ass on their resumes to just get a job, any job. People who claim to be able to meet all the ridiculous requirements generally don't and just avoid them until they become a problem or they can move on.

2 months ago

Edit

• xb4r7x

Nepotism is the only way to succeed in today's world. Network. Network. Network. Hit up your old coworkers just to catch up. Hit up your old college buddies just to catch up. Stay in touch with all those people regularly. Hopefully one day they'll land you a job.

2 months ago

Edit

• storavalu

I can't stand linkedin for many reasons, one is privacy. I refuse to do linkedin myself, to each their own.

2 months ago

Edit

• ElectricOne55

I agree I've had every person I interview look me up, its creepy when you get one from the hidden profiles though. Wonder if I'd be better without it. I noticed all the jobs on there require crazy amounts of experience and you have to scroll 3x to get to the end of the job postings.

2 months ago

Edit

• mnl_cntn

Yet the US is happy funding the military instead of using those funds to build more schools and create more jobs for an industry that’s flooding with new graduates. This country is a nightmare.

2 months ago

Edit

• perpetuatinstupidity

1. It's not our fault everyone wants to kill us. Take it as a compliment. 2. These titties don't fund themselves 3. Basic bitches will go get the easiest degrees instead of working slight harder for anything past a BA in liberal bullshit.

2 months ago

Edit

• bradytowelker

Economy was much easier back in the day, now everyone but the top 10% living in hot water.

2 months ago

Edit

• lightgeschwindigkeit

Maybe he can start his own consulting business. My dad was an electrical engineer. He was forced into an early retirement, but he got a job as a professor at a community college, and also became a part-time consultant making $150 an hour. On the weekends, he'd running a rental business on the side. It also helped that my mom was a realtor and one of his friends owned a contracting company. My dad's completely retired. But when he was in the teaching / rental / consulting business, he was making enough income that he didn't have to dip into his savings doing that. Of course, this was well before COVID, early 2010's. Things are tougher now.

2 months ago

Edit

• MI-Native

Consulting is not some magic bullet either; it is a grind. If you think that bending to your manager's demands is hell, wait until you have several infantile clients demanding this and that, questioning everything you submit to them, and generally being obnoxious because they feel the entitlement as the "customer". Not to mention, you're usually always on the road. Personally, it's in-house or nothing for me moving forward. If it's not working on an internal team, servicing internal clients, then I'm not interested.

2 months ago

Edit

• uncleleo101

Great post. It's wild, your dad's work experience post-college sounds like Asimov, science fiction, to our generation of "entry-level with 10 years experience" jobs. It was just so different back then, must have been nice.

2 months ago

Edit

• charlesdickens2007

I know, could you imagine working for a company for 6 months as a temp and them one day just going, "Cool. What job do you want next?"

2 months ago

Edit

• photozine

I was just telling someone that is looking for a different job and tells me that they're frustrated at the process, to imagine how I felt about four years ago, when I was unemployed, but with a degree and experience in my field, and after applying to more than a hundred applications in one year (I have a Google sheet), I rarely even got a call back. I had already been through it, and I can honestly say that job searching is the most demoralizing thing I have had to do in my life. Not only is it a very lengthy process, but there's little communication and no feedback. What's worse, yes, people get jobs based on who they know (I criticize 'networking', which for me is nepotism without the family ties), regardless of qualifications, even in large companies. Thankfully he wants to work because he feels like he can still give more, as opposed to needing to work. We've all been there, desperate, heartbroken, demoralized, and it doesn't get better.

2 months ago

Edit

• Mollusk360

Why is he even trying to work for somebody else when he clearly has the aptitude to do his own thing?

2 months ago

Edit

• charlesdickens2007

He told me his social skills aren't good enough to hack it on his own. He is a self described introvert. This is after years of asking a simple question of "what's this do?" and getting a 3 hour lecture on centripetal force. He's amazingly passionate and a great teacher but I think he struggles with promoting himself. I have told him he would be great as a consultant.

2 months ago

Edit

• akirkwoodAk

Found this, www.geekbidz.com. Seems they’re trying to fix the hiring process. Maybe support their cause so change can happen.

2 months ago

Edit

• [deleted]

[deleted]

2 months ago

Edit

• snowwhite224

I get this! I graduated last May with my bachelors in communications (which is pretty pointless, let’s be real) and can’t seem to find jobs that want nothing less than 3-5 years experience, knowledge of 12 different softwares, connections, the list goes on. And for what? 35-40K. It’s a joke.

2 months ago

Edit

• Quarterafter10

Companies can be so terrible. The upside of being ghosted is you know who you'll never waste your time on again. May their behavior come back on them in some way 100 fold. Maybe your dad can become a solar or building consultant? Myself, I hope to (with a lot of help I have to pursue/research) build a TH in 2-3 years and plan to have solar. Someone like him who can build, knows about solar and probably other stuff would be a bonus to someone like me who is green when it comes to any of that.

2 months ago

Edit

• _QuestionAsker0

It’s shitty that it’s like this now. From what I understand from not only your dad’s experience but many others, back then, employers and employees had respect towards one another. No bullshit application process and no bullshit HR. Anyway, keep pushing through! The strength of a human lies in how they adapt to hard times - it doesn’t come easy...in fact it’s fucking hard. Keep trying and I promise it will work out. Take it from a guy who dumped over 500 applications. And Yeah, the dumbest shits get hired easily nowadays because they know a buddy to hook em up, it sucks my friend. With that said, your dad should try and do this if he can - I imagine 35 years of experience he may have some hook ups right? Doesn’t hurt to go that route. So you have 4 interviews where none converted? Could be an interview issue. You should be able to tell generally how well your interviews went (not hard to gauge the room after an interview). I sense your issue is interviews. Try and see what’s wrong (nervous? Not great answers? Figure it out). Btw, by today’s standards, 40+ positions is not a lot. Applying to 40+ (I’m assuming 40+ is like 50 or 60) and getting 4 interviews is good! Means your applications have 10% callback rate....mine was like 1%. So, your resume is likely not the issue, could be interviews? All in all, you and your dad needa keep trying, see if you can leverage a hookup (look into cold messaging on LinkedIn, may help) and keep your head up. Btw, your dad sounds cool

2 months ago

Edit

• charlesdickens2007

Hey - thanks for replying. I have roughly 4 interviews in the past year, and I just checked indeed and I'm at 64 total applications. I am picky in my jobs that I apply for, I usually take 1-2 hours to make my application/resume/cover letter match every job I go for. Like you said, I feel like that's my strong suit. I feel like I interview well. There were several interviews where (for lack of a better word) we were vibing! We had good report, I was able to effectively show how my background aligned with the position, and I always always always ask: "What concerns do you have about me as an applicant for this position?" and I don't get much feedback besides the occasional, "You don't have much x" and that gives me the opportunity to talk about how I do have x, I just didn't talk about it enough. So I \*feel\* like I'm decent at interviews, but there can always be room for improvement. I'm doing my best, I know my dad is too. He is a really cool guy. I appreciate the hell out of him and even though we have different love languages and personalities, we get along really well, especially now that I'm an adult. Lol, he's the electrical engineer who supported his daughter when I looked at him and said, "I'm going to get my degree in History!" and he said, "awesome, we'll make the perfect Jeopardy team". I'm thankful that you read this and took the time for writing that out. I appreciate it!

2 months ago

Edit

• Crafty-Scholar-3106

Oh! (Virtual) hugs to you both! Today’s modern application process is an exercise in futility. I have gotten a job this way exactly once and it was 15 years ago. As a cashier at a hardware store. All other jobs I’ve gotten through warm leads and relationships. Once I got a job peering through the window of what I thought was an abandoned theater, caught the eye of the owner who invited me in, asked what I was doing (walking around waiting for divine inspiration to strike to find work) and when I mentioned I was handy he asked if I could repair vacuum cleaners - because he had nine broken ones he needed cleaned and repaired. I did the work on the spot and just kept coming back for odd jobs and more work, and it grew from there. Another time I met a person on Shapr (like tinder for professional networking, not sure if it’s still around though) and she literally created a position and job listing for me to apply for. A third time I struck up a conversation with a violist from church (I play violin) and she was also an entomologist who was trying to design a new insect trap. I had some 3D printing knowledge and our conversation got me an informational interview with the head of her department. I folded my thank you note into tiny origami insect and places it inside a 3D printed prototype (with an additional full sized copy of the thank you note). These things might sound pretty crazy, but they all got me results. My point is you both need to get to the people who actually need you, talk to them directly, and find a way to demonstrate your knowledge of how to solve a problem (not all problems; just one of them, preferably on the spot. The people who write job ads are trying (usually failing) to really get what the person really needs, so they just google descriptions and list everything, regardless of how unrealistic it would be to have such a diverse skill set. Your dad, with his 35 years of experience, would probably be a fascinating conversationalist to someone passionate about the same issues. Linked in is a great place to start writing. There are also professional groups he could join and network through. Wishing you both good luck.

2 months ago

Edit

• hiwade11

OP, I feel this so hard. I applied to 300+ jobs when I was hunting and didn’t get one. Got to the final round on a few but blew it on a key take home assignment (literally just didn’t see the attachment they sent, was pretty painful) which was tough at the time but honestly I am grateful. It made me take a step back and ask what is it that I actually want to do. I thought about my interests and I researched companies in those spaces. I thought about the type of people I want to be around and what kind of office space and culture I want to be a part of. I started telling friends about all this. Sure enough, as if by magic, one introduced me to a business they had recently prospected into. I now work for that business and it has been the most rewarding career experience of my life. I highly encourage you and your dad to read the book What Color Is Your Parachute by Richard Bolles. It gave me hope when I was wondering if it was even possible to get the job I wanted. You are enough, you are worthy, and the world needs your gift. Don’t forget it.

2 months ago

Edit

• NotGonna_Lie2U

Today, on a job application, I was asked to write a poem describing my previous work experience. A fucking poem.

2 months ago

Edit

• ugghhhh-fuuuukkkk

HR has basically become the police, always on a power trip and we are supposed to just accept it

2 months ago

Edit

• Arachnesloom

All these stories about how "back in my day it was easy to get a good job with a college degree." I have to wonder... do these stories come from white men? Was it ever that easy for women/ POC? I hate to say it but I wonder if jobs are more competitive now that women, POC, and outsourced international labor are in the professional job market as well. For instance, my former company paid me a modest salary but also hired analysts in India to do the same job at a lower salary. More competition means the job holders can make job seekers fight over them. I'm sure there are MANY other factors but I suspect this is one of them.

2 months ago

Edit

• -BeezusHrist

When companies do that, they're usually chasing the sun. You're not necessarily competing with your Indian counterparts, having a company in that part of the world helps them stay operational 24 hours a day.

2 months ago

Edit

• Plantsandanger

It’s ROUGH out there. It makes me tear my hair out when I hear what people used to do roger their jobs, it’s ridiculous how much easier it was! I’m thinking He should be a consultant for a nonprofit or foundation looking to promote sustainable home construction (particularly for the wealthy if he likes, or take the more jimmy carter-style approach). He might enjoy that. Just it’s a butt load of work no matter what.

2 months ago

Edit

• blitzalchemy

im 28, have an associates (granted its in traditional art), going for my bachelors online in business administration, 5 years working in hospitals as a custodian and some mild paperwork involved with it, and i dont even get call-back on base level positions. Im desperately wanting a day shift office job, even willing to take a paycut (even though most start out at more than i make), and i dont even get callbacks. These positions literally only ask for high school diplomas. Im college educated and going for an advanced degree and cant even get a callback. Heck, i applied for a higher level janitorial position at a hotel, district manager was excited and loved my resume, general manager of the hotel called me and said no because they want specifically hotel janitor experience. At least he called me but christ.

2 months ago

Edit

• cerebral__flatulence

Thank you for posting.

2 months ago

Edit

• glasses_the_loc

I know someone who quit their job at a power company to start their own small solar education and training business out of their home, doing trainings, making kits for kids to put together in the classroom, and speaking at our high school. Has your father considered starting his own consulting business?

2 months ago

Edit

• cheap_dates

The problem with technology is that you can't just choose the bits you like and ignore the rest; some parts you aren't going to like but that makes somebody else's day. Add to this you are often trying to combine 21st century technology with 19th old world charm. Doesn't always work. My father NEVER wrote a resume in his life and I have gotten jobs because I knew a guy, who knew a guy, who knew a guy. Then there is everything in between.

2 months ago

Edit

• DocMoochal

Times are a changing. I think automation and just software are affecting industries more than people like to admit. More efficiency means less people needed.... Hopefully policy makers will wake up. UBI?

2 months ago

Edit

• DanishJohn

>can you even read? Professionalism level = 0 I hope your boss deserve what he gets. That is no fucking way to treat your peers or employees

2 months ago

Edit

• charlesdickens2007

He's a dick. I went for his job, as well as a couple of my peers that hold my position (they were more qualified, I was hoping they would get it). Turns out the CEO had to message my current boss to remind him to apply the day that it was closing, and he has ZERO management background and is immediately overseeing 10 people, 5 of us are leadership, he's considered to be a executive leader. It's going about as well as you could imagine.

2 months ago

Edit

• AsexualArowana

It sucks because were used to how shitty the market is. Older people don't really have a good understanding on what the market is like for people out there. Glad you're there for your pops.

2 months ago

Edit

• perpetuatinstupidity

"Hey yea I saw you know how to drive a forklift do you have a certification from it" "No" "Gaw, well do you also have Security +" "No" "Well we were looking for someone with security plus and a forlift cert and a security clearance to work on the arsenal for $15/hour" This was a legit conversation I had with a recruiter. What in the actual fuck!

2 months ago

Edit

• Poorees

Same here! I am 40F sahm trying to get back to my career. When I spoke to my mom about job application and the job process, she was stunned. She is boomer generation, where job opportunities would come to people, literally sitting at home! I remember after my dad retired ( also an engineer) how people would call him for consulting opportunities even when he was not actively seeking opportunities. And here I am with all my degrees applying like crazy, getting insomnia and people asking me, " why do you need a job, you guys are comfortable?!". Like really?! So addition to be a super hero there is additional BS because - I don't 'need' a job 🙄. Not to mention my mom earlier on would tell me what about xyz. And I am like I am capable of doing all those things but is there a job guarantee? If not, then all my current degrees and experience should be sufficient. Not to mention that I have already enrolled in a certification program to show I am serious about a career. After the recent HR bullshit I went through, she has been awfully quiet.

2 months ago

Edit

• MI-Native

I took an entry level job as part of a career pivot. I'm making less than 50% of what I was making six months ago. I've literally never worked harder in my entire life. The plusses are that the interview was easy, got a job offer the same day, and I generally take nothing at all home with me. No worrying about approaching deadlines on my evenings or weekends. I've also set a lot of boundaries. I will do my best at any job that I work. However, I take care of myself first and foremost. I don't skip breaks. And I sure as hell don't stay extra late or take work home with me unless it's a fun side project.

2 months ago

Edit

• 1wrx2subarus

If you are open to an alternate opinion, I’d propose categorizing your resume and cover letter by the functional area that you have expertise and education in (marketing, Human Resources, etc). So, I believe your 1-2 hours is too much time on customizing a resume and cover letter. It’s nice to have the first sentences of a cover letter be specific to the company. Beyond that, I’d say you are doing overkill. Granted, that’s just my take and there’s no magic bullet. You’re either a good fit or not. Get a solid resume and cover letter together with slight modifications by job & apply (30 minutes tops).

2 months ago

Edit

• DesignMASTERed

I think if he don't need the money, it's time for him to do what he love, maybe he can open a YouTube video or a startup, you said he is an introvert, maybe you can help him or find someone with Marketing skills to help him (already someone in the comments section claims to have) I would give it a try at least.

2 months ago

Edit

• moifauve

Dude, seriously, what is stopping your dad from starting a Youtube or Twitch channel showcasing his passions for eco-friendly living? He can probably afford a basic set-up and start right away, gain a following (change the world part), be his own boss, and do what he loves all in one. If he’s half as charismatic as you make him sound, I don’t see why that couldn’t replace a job in terms of earnings.

2 months ago

Edit

• Left-Change-2562

skimming through, you should share this story on linkedin and other social media. call out the companies. make a big deal about it. it's a huge problem and needs to be addressed. the world of recruiting is terribly inadequate and needs to change.

2 months ago

Edit

• acctthrowaway11_

Are you qualified for these positions? Frankly, with a teaching degree and experience in non-profits, I'm not surprised jobs paying 70-100k aren't calling back. If you've applied to 40+ and aren't finding any success, have you been networking for these positions?

2 months ago

Edit

• Autymnfyres77

Not to be sarcastic at all... but, how/why are people talking about "networking? " Come-on, how many industry or young-professional networking events have you seen in the last oh, almost a year??

2 months ago

Edit

• Jibaro123

I'd be curious to find out out what you presume boomers think about things. I'm a boomer, nearly every other boomer I know is very liberal.

2 months ago

Edit

• Svefnugr_Fugl

Been out of work since 2017 I finally got my first interview since then so never give up hope! It is a struggle now, my dad says once I get a job he will be looking but he is going to be in for a shock. He was in the building trade and whenever my brother mentions a job at work he says "put my name down for that" like no one does that now, many its massive application forms and several interviews or even tests.

2 months ago

Edit

• iwantknow8

All this tells me is that we need to stop being afraid of being the employer. What’s stopping us from getting 6 PEs together and competing for a gov bid? What’s stopping us from snatching up business from a bloated firm that’s gotten too comfortable and stopped being a competitive vendor to the whales? Why are we afraid of marketing our own line of yet to be made products to test the consumer market and serve the same customers at a fraction of the cost?

2 months ago

Edit

• -BeezusHrist

Barriers to entry. No one is afraid, people lack the capital because the capital has been hoarded into the hands of a few.

2 months ago

Edit

• Castrum4life

When the sands shift and they will... maybe not in my lifetime... there will be a figurative culling of all these idiots.

2 months ago

Edit

• LostTime77

I feel your pain. I have not had the pleasure of going through extended months of applications and interviews - I have been fairly lucky, but I have gotten to relive the situation twice in the last year (transitioned between 3 jobs in the same year). I talk to several colleagues who have gone through the same stuff. I hear all the stories: recruiters, listings, etc.. Engineering companies want super man. They want quality and experience, but they are not willing to pay you. Don't get me started on recruiters. I have "worked with" tens and heard stories of hundreds, and have only worked with one or two that have been worth it. My colleague sent me a "wtf" posting yesterday in which a recruiter literally copy pasted a listing from another email that happened to also have the hiring manager's thoughts in it. Basically: "we want somebody that can do x, y, and z, but we can't spend too much. We want somebody to hit the ground running, so if you don't have the experience, we will have to train you and lower your salary. We are thinking 40K." He and I are a decade into our careers and currently have jobs and know our worth. Aint no 40K, tell you that. I still get recruiters sending me emails probably once a day even though I have de listed my resume now (I found a job). I read them for posterity and the chance that it could be a listing that is twice my current salary :) Anyhow, the first lines I read are the "where" is the job and "how long"? 99% of postings are contract, a minimum of 4 states away, and are only for x months. Do the salary math. You want me to do my own taxes and benefits, move, and then have fear that I need another job in x months for... oh look, LESS money than I am getting paid at my current position. I basically just chuckle and immediately delete the listing. I am not going to uproot my life, move 10 states away, then have to repeat that cycle at the end of some months. Can't these people at least 'try' to "sell" the positions they list a little? Maybe put in some research time. Nah, it's just a game of projectile vomit the copy & pasted listings out to hundreds of people at the same time hoping they will snag some poor soul as a catch. Anyhow, I apologize for my rant on how 99.999% of recruiters are garbage, but it grinds my gears. To the main point, what I have found is that a majority of companies want talent but they want to lowball and not pay for it. As much as it pains me to say this, progressive or "FAANG?" companies are doing it right when it comes to hiring engineers in terms of compensation. The reason they have the potential to attract talent is because they actually compensate for it. Not saying those companies don't have other issues, or that I ever want to work for one, because I definitely do not.

2 months ago

Edit

• GroundsKeeper2

You should (or maybe shouldn't) show him /r/recruitinghell...

2 months ago

Edit

• celestialxing

I work in the green energy field, with my focus being residential energy performance. The company I work for is unique in that we provide solar services as well as home energy testing. From what it sounds like, you dad would be great in solar sales. He's excited about the product and the data behind it - meaning he could easily promote the benefits with potential consumers. Does he like the idea of selling? He has a programming background so he could easily learn the tech for solar feasibility, estimate panels and solar potential if the sales team isn't accountable for that work. Sometimes the sales agents do these take-offs. Depends on the company. I'm also on the job market, and after talking with a friend who reviews resumes and cover letters regularly, it's important to match the language that's in the job post. Make sure you match up with most of the requirements. Since income range seems open, aim for entry level roles. Good solar companies? Look at Amicus Solar Cooperative (B Corp) and search their members - they cover most of US, western Canada and Puerto Rico. Research these companies and if one isn't in his area, he should contact the closest one and see if they have any knowledge of a good company in his area. Residential may be an easier starting point than utility scale or commercial, but maybe I'm wrong. Best of luck!

2 months ago

Edit

• My_Opinion_Man_

Go punch your boss in the face and say can you even see?

2 months ago

Edit

• Cornelius-Pumper

Everyone and their mom has a bachelors degree, which is now irrelevancy so people are needing to get a masters degree just to get a potential job paying $40k a year. Even with a masters, they’d likely have little to no experience. The best thing to do.... learn a skill trade!

2 months ago

Edit

• meltrempz

😭

2 months ago

Edit

• harvardlad95

In today’s job market, unless you are a tech or health worker there honestly isn’t much out there that pays well. Yea you have Finance but the odds aren’t as high as tech

2 months ago

Edit

• metisviking

Omg your dad sounds hot. But yes, something is wrong with the job markets if this is happening to your dad. I got lucky in finding my job.

2 months ago

Edit

• coupleofnuts69

I feel you and your Dad’s pain, the job market is brutal. Back in 17, there was a lot of hope as jobs started to return to America, but the trends seem to not only have ended but are reversing. When there are no jobs, companies get to be extremely selective on who they hire. This is the basis of supply and demand. Your dad pulling for politicians like Bernie exacerbate the job issues we currently face. Through horrible policies that most progressives supported, we have lost our best-paying jobs and except for a few short years, we are still headed down that path. I know it is hard to accept you may be a part of the problem, but facts are facts. America is now running on an unskilled job market, today the largest employers are: 1. McDonald’s 2. Amazon 3. Walmart This is in stark contrast to the early 1980s 1. GE 2. IBM 3. Exxon. By allowing these companies to shift massive amounts of their workforce overseas or into Mexico and South America, we have destroyed the middle-class job market. Couple that with importing more goods and then exporting from companies based in China, we have further eroded the American workforce and cheapened US-based products. This a simple case of you can’t have your cake and eat it too. It’s great to be progressive, and demand change, it’s another thing to stop supporting your country and fighting against America's first mentality. Our jobs are gone, replaced by cheap low paying jobs that fight minimum wage increases, fight against unions, and ensure their labor force is uneducated and easily replaceable. I can assure you moving towards socialism isn’t the solution, last I checked Venezuela doesn’t have a strong job market or food. Let the downvotes start.

2 months ago

Edit

• lunalaine

I'll be honest with you, everything you mentioned was put in place by neoconservatives, not progressives. Progressives fully support unions and better workplace practices, and if you did any cursory research on progressive candidates and policies you would know this.

2 months ago

Edit

• SephoraRothschild

I'm a Technical Writer. DM sent over chat.

2 months ago

Edit

• Autymnfyres77

Technical writers used to be writers who specialized in a niche and built experience. Now technical writer positions are for tech specialists, who also happen to have a command of language and grammar. :o(

2 months ago

Edit

• questionasky

Being hoodwinked by phony liberalism is literally the definition of boomer lol

2 months ago

Edit

• Labochar

Being conservative is literally the definition of boomer

2 months ago

Edit

• PLaTinuM_HaZe

I’m sorry to hear about the troubles you are experiencing. I’m actually surprised because where I live it feels like companies can’t hire fast enough and there are such a glutton of high paying jobs. I guess it just comes down to the pro’s and con’s of living in an ultra high cost bubble vs living in a less concentrated region. I’ve never lived outside of a major metropolitan area (grew up and started career in Boston area and now live in Silicon Valley). I guess what I’m getting at is although these places have extraordinary costs of living, they have tons of jobs and good salaries regardless of economy and job environment and you may want to look at making a move for the benefit of your long term career trajectory.

2 months ago

Edit

• Delysid720

If salary doesn’t matter for your dad as you stated, there’s some companies that run call centers setting appointments for people to have their homes evaluated for solar. If he knows a lot about it, he will make $35-50k a year for talking to people about solar. Since he knows a lot, probably on the higher end of that spectrum. And if he knows a lot about solar, you can start your own company setting appointments for manufacturers. Just contacts solar companies in high taxed areas(Texas), set up a deals with them, rent an office, get some crappy computers that run windows 95, buy leads from the credit bureau(Equifax), get a dialer, some headsets, and pay some kids to call people and set appts.

2 months ago

Edit

Jobs For You

Search for a job